Master Guide For Dab Rigs – Essential Tool For Dabbing
You’ve probably heard of dabbing in a few different ways. While today, dabbing is most generally seen as a popular dance move, the term actually refers to a method of smoking oils.
Dabbing is a great way to unwind from a stressful day and relax with friends. With a wide array of options and kinds of dabbing, it can be difficult to get started with dabbing and oil rigs.
We’ve created this guide for dabbing and dab rigs to help you get an idea of what is dabbing is and if it’s right for you.
What Are Dab Rigs and Oil Rigs?
A dab rig or oil rig is an oil pipe that can be used to smoke oils, concentrates, or extracts. ‘Dab rig’ and ‘oil rig’ are interchangeable terms for the same pipe. The process of smoking this pipe is called dabbing.
How Do You Use a Dab Rig?
The process of dabbing is simple.
First, the nail (a glass, quartz, or titanium structure that comes with the pipe) is heated by the torch.
Second, the concentrate or oil is pressed onto this nail, which heats it into a smoke that is inhaled by placing your mouth on the mouthpiece of the pipe.
What Are the Benefits of Dabbing?
Dabbing is really having its moment in popular culture. There are millions of people using these pipes around the world, and new methods are constantly being developed.
Here’s why getting into dabbing is a good idea:
- Less harsh than traditional smoking as there is no combustion process in a dab rig
- Most dab rigs do not have an odor
- Gives a powerful dose of the concentrate used (especially THC)
- More concentrate can be made from fewer flowers or sources
- Popular in modern culture
- With so many different methods, you’re bound to find one you like
The Kinds of Dab Rigs
With so many people involved and invested in dabbing at the moment, it’s no surprise that there are a multitude of rigs available for a variety of uses and costs.
The differences between rigs usually come from differences in the parts, so we’ll go over a few of those.
Torch For Dabbing
The torch will be used to heat the nail. While many people buy torches designed for dabbing, a Creme Brulee torch can deliver the same effect at a fraction of the cost.
Differences between torches won’t really change your dabbing experience, but can affect the overall cost and longevity of your dab rig.
The Dab Rig / Oil Rig
The main component of your dab rig is the structure to hold the rig and smoke out of. A dab rig is made of a chamber holding water and a downstem to hold the nail.
Dab rigs come across a wide variety of budgets and styles. These can be found in head shops or from local amateur glassblowers online.
There are many nail types and sizes available. The options that are bolded are the ones we believe are good options for a beginning dabber.
- Glass nails: a great basic nail to deliver powerful flavor, and easy to clean, but can’t withstand high temperatures for too long.
- Ceramic nails: better with heat than glass, but can break easily.
- Quartz nails: can withstand high heat, delivers better flavor, and is more durable, but you should be careful with how you heat it due to the fast cool-down time. We don’t recommend using quartz in your first dab rig; try to graduate up to quartz once you’re a bit more used to dabbing.
- Titanium nails: as the most common nails, titanium nails are almost indestructible, but might distort the flavor.
- Electric nails: though considered the creme of the crop for their adjustability and high quality, they can get incredibly expensive.
- Domeless nails: with ventilation holes, domeless nails have better airflow.
- Domed nails: requires an extra step to extract the vapor, but can extract more vapor than a domeless nail.
Photos from: rbspace / depositphotos.com,